Friday, April 26, 2024

Flying Eggs and other Fun at Easter

 


We have 3 granddaughters, ages 6 years, 4 years and 4 weeks.  This past Easter, the 4 week old was only a few days old when Easter came this year so she did not get to experience the grandparent fun we had at our house on Easter afternoon.  To say it had been a very busy week was a complete understatement.  My daughter had her third daughter on the Wednesday of Holy Week.  While everyone was healthy, the powers of the hospital thought she should stay until Saturday, the day before Easter.  That put a slight damper on the girls Easter celebrations because mom and new sister were still so fresh from delivery. But my daughter decided that coming over to our house was still the best remedy for the energy of the older two so it was up to Grandpa and me to keep them entertained while she and her hubs and youngest took it a little easier.  We had Auntie La to help but after several egg hunts in the back yard, egg decorating and eating the girls were still full of energy and the adults were all wiped.

The six year old has been in kindergarten all year and as all adults know when kids start school, they begin to stop believing in everything fun, Santa, elves, bunnies who hide eggs.  She was extolling to her 4 year old sister  how the other kids were telling her that the Easter bunny really wasn't so much a large rabbit as much as he some person just dressed up!

Concerned that the 4 year old was going to learn a lesson she was too young to learn and the 6 year old would never have any hopes and dreams left in life, I took matters into my own hands. Honestly let's face it, I am way not ready to give up on Santa yet myself.  We'll see what they say about eggs flying in from the sky. Who will be a disbeliever now?

With just my son-in-law as witness, lucky thing, while the girls were out back with Babba and Aunt La, I went out front with a couple of filled plastic Easter eggs and tried to lob them over the house.  The problem was my 64 year old shoulders do not lob so well any more and the result was eggs rolling back down on my head.  My son-in-law saw me from the front window and took pity on me and came outside. 

He lobed two eggs over the top of the house.  Oh my word...the shrieking began! You would have thought gold was falling from Heaven!  We kept this up, every few minutes pitching eggs over the top. Then we would run inside and sit down as the girls raced inside to tell us about the falling eggs. Who or what was doing that, they asked.  We had no clue.  Inner smirk.

 Back outside they raced to see if more would fall.  We ran out the front door and threw more eggs and ran back inside. I know our neighbors if they were looking outside that Easter afternoon were getting quite the show.  It was so fun and the best part was listening to the 6 year old whose eyes were as large as saucers tell us about the flying eggs. There must really be a bunny who flies by and drops eggs at kids houses. She was going to tell all the kids at school about this! 

Mother of three daughter came out of the bedroom where she was trying to rest asking what all the hubbub was about. We told her. I thought she was going to fall down laughing.  Suddenly the girls burst into the  house again and told mom what was happening.

Oh it was a very fun afternoon. My son-in-law and I had quite the time. Trouble is, I know these girls, they are going to remember this and next year we'll have to repeat the performance!

No comments:

Post a Comment