Wednesday, April 3, 2024

Families Surround Us

 While enjoying the Easter festivities of the beauty of Mass and the visiting afterwards seeing old friends who are home visiting, or introducing new babies to the church family, I am always struck by how families surround us. It doesn't matter whether you are single or married, living a single vocation or your marriage has ended, all the people that surround us at church or home are family.

I love when I hear people talk about their "Auntees" a woman who may or may not be related to you but she is given the title of Aunt in her own way.  I think that is so beautiful!  And many non-related men are addressed as Uncle in the same way.

It wasn't just a passing thought of God to have his son come to us as human in the middle of a family. He knew that family is important and that it takes fathers, mothers, grandparents, aunts and uncles, cousins and extended families to raise a child.  Unlike the 'it takes a village' phrase, I think "it takes a family" to raise a child.  It is important for children to have that sense of connection to their extended families.  My granddaughters know that my sisters are also their aunts, great that they may be, they are still just called Aunt.  My sisters and brother had a great aunt of my dads. She was always Aunt Ruth, not Great Aunt Ruth.  She doted on us as much as she doted on my father when he was young and we loved her for it.  

I also have to laugh when I greet my granddaughter on the playground during recess I get called "Frankie's  Grandma' by the other kids out there. They see that connection and it helps them relate to me as well. We are related by family, all of us, whether our families are big or small.  They watch out for us and help us grow and love us beyond measure. It is a beautiful thing and something wonderful to be reminded of especially at Easter time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment