Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Being the Gopher Out of the Hole

   I know I need to stop doing two things these days: 1.  stop listening to the news. Even though I want to keep up on what is going on in the world, which seems to be only the virus pandemic, and 2. stop watching to commercials because if I hear one more time the lines, "in this time of uncertainty" or "in these trying times" I think I will scream!!  The last place I need to be reminded of these Uncertain Times is in a commercial! 
  Okay my rant is over, almost:  I have a hard time believing that the only news in the whole entire world is the virus pandemic. Before this began we had news of constant earthquakes, hurricanes, volcanoes erupting, meteors headed towards earth and new life found in a cave somewhere.  Seriously there was always news of some kind!
  There is still weather going on at least in my part of the country that needs to be reported on. We've had hundreds of tornado warnings just in my three surrounding states that no one on national news is reporting on. What gives?  How about lightning up a little with the pandemic and give us tornado damages?
  Today was my boiling over point. I just cannot take any more bad news or hear anything more about 'these uncertain times.'  Even my fellow workers use this term and I almost stood up and walked out the door.  Every day is uncertain, why do we think it was different before? Nothing was certain. 
  I want some good news people! I want hope and laughter.  Even the early Christians had hope and laughter and they were being martyred for practicing their faith!!  I want us all to be relatively safe, but there are no guarantees in this life, people!  Every day is an act of faith going out the door, will I have a heart attack on my way to work? Will I get killed in an accident while driving?  I know I stand a pretty good chance of getting from A to B in one piece, but we act as if it is something new to think we may get this virus and die. 
  I have to blame a life of faith on my way of thinking.  My faith tells me that I should be concentrating on getting to heaven on a daily basis, not concentrating on my social media numbers, my bank account or how I look.  So my brain has always reminded me that I need to treat my family, friends and even other people who drive bad on the streets with love and care because I may not see them again!  It's not anything morbid, but just a way to remind myself to be kind, loving and tell everyone I love on a daily basis how much they mean to me. That's what my faith tells me to do. And during these 'uncertain times' I still do that. And when the 'uncertain times' are over, I will STILL do that!
  Okay NOW I think my rant is over. I apologize if I sound like I am screaming but in a way I am. Today I just could not take the social distancing, the uncertainty of our times, the timid way we are all going about living. Yes, we need to be careful. Believe, I know, my own brother had this virus the very first week we began hearing about it. He suffered a lot alone in the hospital with none of us allowed to go see him.  It was horrible. We were scared to death. Thank God he made a good recovery. So I know how scary this virus is, but we cannot live this way!  We must live for our faith and trust in God that whatever happens to us He will take care of us.  Faith and trust is the only way to get through this life.  It is hard to find anyone promoting having faith and trust in the media, social media, news, even in some of our churches.  So we have to take it on and ask God for help to get through this. He will see us through.  Like that first gopher that pops his head out of the hole to check on the conditions of his world, we must be brave enough to stick our heads up and ask for help from God then trust in Him.  We don't need to go running out blithely unaware of things, but let's stop sounding so scared and frightened.  Let's stop constantly talking about the virus as if our lives have been put on hold and won't function until the all clear. Let's put on a mask, go to the store and work.  We have been through wars and health crisis' before and while this one is a biggie, we can do this!  At least we can try to get put on a brave face and remember to trust in God. He is bigger than this pandemic!

No comments:

Post a Comment