Thursday, March 7, 2019

Hey You! Child of God!

    Yay it’s Lent. Another chance to reset my way of thinking and reflect on how I am doing spiritually in my life.  Have you ever noticed how we humans tend to see only the negatives in life? We see the ‘no’s or do nots, the ‘give up this or that, don’t eat this,’ that are associated with Lent.   The same thing could be said about the way we see our spiritual sides.  We see where we have fallen, not where we’ve gotten up; we see our failures and ignore the compliments we receive.

   Just this week, I received no less than five compliments about various things I had been doing or working on. Yet all it took was one bad day, of all days it was Ash Wednesday, to make me forget any of those compliments and only remember the one or two times I had failed or fallen down. It threatened to destroy the whole beginning of Lent for me.  Whose fault was it?  My own.

   We are always looking for ways to discredit ourselves.  We truly are our own worst enemies at times when we need to be our own cheerleaders. I mean God loves us no matter what. Why can’t we love ourselves too?

    What will it take for you to look at yourself this Lent and see the good you are doing? What will it take to pick yourself up through the sad, sorrow and bad times and look up at the beautiful sky and say, yeah, that happened or yup, I guess I’m still human, and move on?

    This Lent, I challenge you to stop and say something nice about yourself.  Really stop, maybe even WRITE IT DOWN!  A Lenten journal is an excellent way to write down these things you are working on.  Then thank God. Thank Him for making you and giving you the chance to see yourself in His eyes. You are his beautiful child.

   This Lent, change. Make the change in you. Not the ‘giving up’ foods or habits…change yourself to see that you really make a difference in other people’s lives, that you mean a whole lot to God and to all those around you.  It’s only 40 days. Who knows, maybe you’ll begin a habit of looking at the positive things about yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment