Monday, December 28, 2015

Wait for the Wings!

  I loved this today...taken from "Day Five" Let Nothing Disturb You"  Teresa of Avila

"More courage is required of those who set out on the road to perfection than of those who suddenly become a martyr, for perfection is not attained overnight. 

You have yet to conquer your passions. Yet by the very fact that you seek to love God, you expect to be extremely brave, as brave as a great saint. You find yourself praising the Lord, but at the same time knowing deep sadness of soul. Many turn back at this point because they have no idea how to help themselves.

Many souls desire to fly before God gives them wings. They begin with good desires, with great fervor and determination to advance in virtue.

Some actually give up all things for the sake of God. They see in others who are further along the way great virtues to which they can only aspired. They lose heart.

Do not be troubled, but hope in the Lord. For if you desire to do the will of the Lord, if you pray and hope and do what you can for yourself, God will bring about in your soul all that you desire.

If I do my best, I will be victorious, I will fly, but not before you give me wings. Grant me patience. Let me not turn back now.  For if I have you, God, I will want for nothing."

"Let nothing disturb you, let nothing make you afraid. All things are passing. God alone never changes. Patience gains all things. If you have God you will want for nothing. God alone suffices."

St. Teresa of Avila was a contemplative nun, religious reformer and gifted writer who founded the Discalced Carmelites and became the first woman to be named Doctor of the Church.

No comments:

Post a Comment