Monday, February 18, 2013

Encouraging Words Feb 18, 2013



 “I’d rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are;

because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star,

I’d rather be a has-been than a might-have-been, by far;

for a might have-been has never been, but a has was once an are.”

~ Milton Berle, American Comedian and Actor

 

 

Encouraging words are what make us who we are. I love the quote repeated by Milton Berle. It not only is encouraging, but it is a statement to sticking to things in life, even if you can’t be the best, most important or highly paid something, you can at least BE SOMETHING!  If for no other reason than you tried.

If you never try something, whether it’s a new job, a new hobby or making yourself a better person, how will you ever look back and say, “Hey I did that!”

How will you create memories?

Encouraging words help us along but they don’t put us in the end result. WE have to do that. We use Encouraging words like the chalk that rock climbers use.  They still have to use arm and leg power, and the ropes and pitons, but that bit of chalk is what keeps their hands from sweating and loosing a grip on the rope.

When dangling from a 40 foot high, two foot across platform in the midst of tree, I had to swing out with only my feet still on the platform, my arms holding on a rope and lower myself to the stable ground below.  Think I needed an encouraging word or two then! You bet!  It took me a long time to do it, I didn’t trust my arms to hold the rope tight enough to keep from plummeting to the ground.  But since there was no other way down and with my husband and kids encouraging me, I finally said a prayer and swung out into space.  Whew…I still didn’t like it, but I survived and slowly let the rope slip through the pulley system and gently dropped to the leave covered earth below. All in one piece.

Encouraging words, everyone needs them at many times in life!

No comments:

Post a Comment