Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Civility Week 49, December 3, 2012


   So have any of you been counting?  Somewhere along the line of my civility blogs this year, I lost a week. I didn’t really loose it, but apparently I did not do a good job fact checking because there was a week missed, at least in the dates and we are suddenly in week 49 when we will still have 3.25 weeks of 2012 left.


   Hmm…so, does the last week of the year, when it falls in the middle of the week still count as a full week referred to as week 53 or does it get lumped into the new week of the year, the first week of 2013 though it’s not a full week.

 
I think I am putting off writing my blog this week by addressing this issue. Nonetheless, (I love that word and it’s also fun to type) nonetheless we will forge on, no matter what week we are in, ending up the year on a civil note.


   It’s nearing the end of the year of this civility experiment. I am still working on my civility, but as with any habit it’s a work in progress! Just don’t give up!  Next year I plan on tackling negativity; in ourselves, the news media, social forums and will try to take over THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!! 

   Ahem…out of my Pinky and the Brain mode…we move on or rather back to the civilities at hand…

   I read a quote today from fellow blogger, Julie Davis’s Book “Happy Catholic”. She was talking about transforming ourselves and how the media gets it all wrong saying physically, instead of conforming our wills to God’s. She has the quote from Thomas a Kempis that everyone has heard the last line of, but I don’t think many people know he was referring to the cross:

 
So the cross is always ready and waits for you everywhere. You cannot escape it no matter where you run, for wherever you go you are burdened with yourself and wherever you go, there you are.”


   Well said. We can never run away from ourselves, no face lift, no heavy drinking, no drug use or new clothes will let you escape from you. So there you have it. You might as well make peace with yourself then and learn to accept and work with what you got!  That’s not to say you can’t make yourself a better person.  It means accepting the person God made you to be and aspire to be.


   So why, after 49 weeks, you ask, am I still trying to learn better civility? Because it’s tied up in the cross.  One of my crosses in life is having a lack of patience, just ask my confessor! But giving up trying to have patience is just not an option. It’s a virtue which means I have to keep working on trying to use it.  Does that make sense? I know, I’m still working on making sense of it too, I just know I have to work on it because not being civil has a negative impact on my family, friends, co-workers and those other people in cars out on the road!

No comments:

Post a Comment