Monday, May 23, 2011

Rookie Altar Servers

I have to tell you about this. We have began training new altar servers yesterday. These are very excited end-of-the year fourth graders we are talking to here, from now on known as "The Rookies."

College-aged daughter, Cait, who is  known around our church altar server circle as "The Server Pro" because she is always jumping up to fill in at Mass when one of the "kids" neglect their server duty had the dubious job of helping me train altar servers in our parish. I recruited her because:

        1. I'm in Family Life Ministry and somehow that job fell to me to pick up and run with.
        2. She is always jumping up to help serve when...one of the "kids" neglect their server duty..."
        3. I've never been a server, (we didn't have girl servers when I was a kid) so she knows more than me.

    So, Cait is explaining all the wonderful nuances of being a good server - think quiet, attentive, careful, respectful. She told them they needed to be "white ninjas."  And it worked! They all began practicing and slowed down their pace when carrying the processional cross, when carrying up the Sacramentary book. They all did a fine job. 
    But I think they all need to join Cait's Server Boot Camp. We had several server boot camps last summer which really got the "rookies" learning everything from serving funerals to Bishop Masses.
  


2010 Recruits in Rookie Altar Server Boot Camp
Caitlin is the tall one standing on the left!
my nephews, also experienced Altar Severs are the two gentlemen standing on the right!

Because of this Boot Camp, our new servers this year are really very good! It's all in the correct training, you know! And the fact that these young people are truly interested in serving Christ in His Church!
Way to go guys and girls!
These are the kids that jump up and serve when some of the older kids neglect their time. They always show up for their appointed Mass. They are enthusiastic and really want to do things the right way.
So I'm hoping this year's crop of rookies will be the same way!
Thanks to their enthusiasm and to Server Pro Cait!

No comments:

Post a Comment