Monday, December 14, 2015

M.O.M. App

Last night while discussing the trip our family took over the Thanksgiving holiday, I was complaining a little about my lack of paper maps for our route.  In the past, I have always made sure I had a map of every state we were traveling through.  Now, in the day of Google, Apple Maps, Garmin and more, who needs paper maps? I do!
  It was extremely frustrating to not be able to look ahead on my phone map and see what was coming up next as far as towns, etc. Google and Apple Maps only took me so far.  I am one of those people who like to plan ahead.
  During this discussion, I also mentioned how it would be helpful to have a smart phone app that told you things like 'Fasten Your Seat belt!' 'Turn here', or 'watch out for upcoming rain storms' and more.
My husband dubbed it the M.O.M. app,  Multiple Operational Messaging App. It would work like your mother was with you wherever you go, whether it was away at college, in your new job, apartment, home...
  It would remind you of several things and you could even have it wake you up in the mornings!  Our daughter was listening to this conversation and reminded me that aren't parents supposed to be raising their kids to be able to do all that stuff by themselves?  Why would they need an app for that?
  I did have to agree, but there are still lots of times you wished your mother would have told you things like, "Those two colors do NOT go together, go back to your closet and begin again."  or, "No way are you getting a tattoo young lady!" or "Yes, it is perfectly normal to be crying one minute and laughing the next right after having a baby."
  See there are lots of situations you could use your mom telling you things without having to call her.  One of my daughters hates calling to complain about things in her life. She tries to just ride it out.  I tell her I can't always be telepathic so she needs to call me. So an app that let you send out an alert to your mom without really calling her would be ideal!  The app would alert the mom to a possible upcoming crisis and suggest now would be a good time to call the daughter, you know,  just to 'check in' and say 'hi!"
  I told my son in law, who writes computer programs about this, but I think I need to explain it a little more. He was very good natured and thought it sounded great. But secretly I suspect he was thinking what is the use of something like that?  I need to explain it would work just as well for sons as well as daughters. You could even have it alert your dad when you want to ask for help, but don't really want to CALL for help, like how to change a tire, is that knocking sound your car is making a bad sign, and more.  Once he's convinced I think he'll be on board.
  Until then, we do have a M.O.M. app for many of our spiritual crisis, it's called the Rosary and it makes a bee-line straight to the Blessed Mother. If you haven't tried it, give a turn.  It grows on you. Like my paper maps of old, you should never leave home without a good sturdy rosary in your pocket or purse. You never know when you might need to call on mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment