Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Encouraging Words, May 6, 2013



“I may be compelled to face danger, but never fear it, and while our soldiers can stand and fight, I can stand and feed and nurse them.” ~ Clara Barton, Founder of the American Red Cross

    I thought of this yesterday after a conversation I had at a local store.  I had overheard a conversation while standing in line between the checker and another customer. They were discussing the customer’s son who was being deployed to Afghanistan next week.  After he left the store the checker apologized to me for the wait and told me they went to church together and the situation.   My heart went out to both of them, the checker because she knew the family and had watched the son grow up, many times he had sat next to her in church and then to the dad who was trying to be very brave and tell the friend about his wife who was not bearing the news very well.  Afterall, her son was deploying two days after Mother’s Day.
 
   I looked at her, my heart was hurting for all of them and I said hesitantly because I didn’t really know her, “I will keep him in my prayers.” And she looked up with the most beautiful smile and said, “Oh, I will too, in fact,” she whispered, “I keep a list on my refrigerator of people to pray for.”  

   Wow, that’s beautiful!  I thought, here we were sharing this information as strangers yet there was a connection of prayer.  People needing other people. We are all called to pray for each other!

    I may not be able to change the world, or make things as they once were, but I can tell people I am praying for them and it makes a difference! I may not be fighting a war, not a physical one, but I am joining in the spiritual fight to unite people everywhere in praying for others, and knowing God is watching over us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment