Monday, February 28, 2011

Have No Fear! God Is Here!

Today I was watching the preparation for the Shuttle Discovery liftoff. As I watched I wondered if the astronauts were worried about their own safety. After so many bad things happening in the shuttle missions and the things they have had to stop for and repair before they could liftoff. I wondered what was going through their minds as they sit in those seats, all suited up for flight.


While I was watching I was also surfing Zenit.org the news agency of the Vatican for news. There was this article about worrying on the site. As I read it I realized I was getting caught up in the world again. Yes, it happens to me all the time. As a mom, I worry. As a wife, I worry, as a daughter, sister, cousin, teacher, I worry all the time.

It’s at those times I need to remember and I’m here to remind you too, that God has everything under control.

Indeed, if God can provide for the birds of the air, and the flowers of the field who cannot store their food in bins or get up and walk to better pastures, why do I sit here and worry? I mean, really what can I do about it?

“We must overcome our fear of the future. But will not be able to overcome it completely unless we do so together. The answer to that fear is neither coercion nor repression, nor the imposition of one social model on the entire world. The answer to the fear which darkens human existence at the end of the 20th century is the common effort to build the civilization of love, founded on the universal values o peach, solidarity, justice and liberty. The soul of civilization of love is the culture of freedom: the freedom of individuals and the freedom of nations, lived in self giving solidarity and responsibility.”

In other words, we still must truly live the Gospel message, love our neighbor as our selves. Give everything to God, especially our fears. He will take care of us. The lives of the astronauts as well as ALL of us, are in God’s hands. What better way to live our lives? Because there is nothing we can do by worrying about stuff, like tests, classes, health and whether we have a date for prom.

In other words we can take heart in the message of the old Underdog Cartoon and say, “Have no fear! God is here!”

No comments:

Post a Comment